• RSS
  • Comments

Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Richard BLACKOW (1707-1776)

Richard, son of William BLAIKOE of Catterall, was baptized on 3 Aug 1707 according to Garstang parish records on Ancestry.com. Catterall is a small village about 1.5 miles south and a little east of Garstang in Lancashire, England.


Catterall, Lancashire, England. Image courtesy of Apple Maps.

Unfortunately we don't know at this time to whom Richard BLACKOW was married or much else about him. There are no other records until the 1767 Returns of Papists (Worrall, 1980, V. 1, 108.) when we find him in Cabus as "Rich BLACOE" living with his son, Joseph.

Richard BLAKOE died in 1776. We are trying to acquire a copy of his will from the Lancashire Archives, but recently found a transcript of another researcher's copy on a Rootschat forum online. It reads as follows:
This is the last will and testament of Richard Blakoe of Snape Wood in Cabus in the parish of Garstang and County of Lancaster, yeoman by him made this 20th day of August in the year of our Lord 1776.

First it is my will and mind that all my left debts & funeral expenses together with the probate of this my will be first of all fully discharged by my executors & executrix, hereafter nominated & appointed and I do subject all my effects to the full payment & discharge of the same.

I also give to my niece Catharine Kilshaw of Sandholme and John Baines in the Forest of Wyredale the sum of £201 and it is my will and mind that £150 due to me from my son in law John Baines of Sandholme be called in for the discharge of the said legacy. All the residuary part & surplus of my effects of what kind nature or quality so ever, I give, bequeath & divide to my son Joseph Blakoe.

Lastly I nominate, constitute and appoint my son Joseph Blakoe, John Baines of Wyredale aforesaid & my niece Catherine Kilshaw executors & executrix of this my will.

And this I declare to be my last will and testament & do hereby revoke all & every other will here before made by me any time in witness whereof I Richard Blakoe the Testator above named here unto subscribed my hand & seal the day & year above written.

Signed sealed published & declared by Richard Blakoe the Testator above named as and for his last Will & Testament in the presence of us who subscribed our names as witnesses here unto his request in his sight & presence & in the sight and presence of each other.

Witnesses John Serjeant & Thomas Corbis [Corlis?]

Signed with mark & seal
Richard Blakoe

1st September 1776
Joseph Blacow and Catherine Kilshaw two of the executors in this will named were sworn will and faithfully to execute and perform the same and so forth (Power being reserved for John Baines the other executor in the said will named) before me
James Fisher Surrogate[/i]
Certainly it confirms the year of his death, as well as Joseph as his son, and John Baines as his son-in-law. We are still trying to determine how his niece Catherine Kilshaw is related.

Richard BLACOW was buried at St. Helen's, Garstang, Lancashire on 1 Sep 1776 according to the parish records.


Detail of Parish Register burial record. Richard BLACOW of Claughton (1 Sep 1776). Image courtesy of Ancestry.com.


Detail of Bishop's Transcript burial record. Richard BLACOW of Claughton (1 Sep 1776). Image courtesy of Ancestry.com.

0 comments:

Post a Comment